This program prepares you to become a professional practical nurse educated to give high-quality care to clients in a variety of health-care settings. It is recommended that learners not work at outside jobs during the full-time PN program. Applicants are requested to review the requirements listed below and assess their ability to fulfill the demands of the occupation of practical nurse.
As a practical nurse, you must be able to:
- Work shifts and weekends
- Be on your feet for extended periods of time
- Use your knees, back, and arms to move clients who have minimal body strength
- Function effectively in stressful situations
- Perform all skills independently.
You may take the program full-time or on a part-time basis in the evenings or through distance education.
- Instructor-led classroom and lab-based learning (Hours may be between 8 AM and 8 PM and may include weekends.)
- Instructor-led and preceptor-led clinical practice courses in Saskatoon and surrounding area (Hours may be between 6 AM and 11:30 PM and may include weekends.)
- Fall and winter starts
- Full-time delivery
Practical nurses find jobs in acute care hospitals, continuing care centres, community care settings, client homes, clinics, or doctors’ offices.
- High school diploma*
- 60% in English Language Arts 30-1 or 70% in English Language Arts 30-2 or equivalent
- 60% in Biology 30 or equivalent
- 50% in Mathematics 20-1 (Pure Mathematics 20) or 60% in Mathematics 20-2 (Applied Mathematics 20) or equivalent (Grade of 60% in NorQuest’s Math 1007) * Mature students (age 19+) must meet all requirements except for the high school diploma.
Nursing Practice Requirements
The following are not required for admission purposes, but will be required before you attend the first clinical practice.
- CPR - Basic Life Support for Health-Care Providers certificate
- WHMIS certificate
- TLR certification
- Up-to-date immunization record (including hepatitis B)
- NorQuest College non-credit course: XHLT 1023 – Human Blood-Borne Pathogen Exposure. Students are subject to an additional fee when they register for this non-credit course. A certificate is awarded upon completion.
- Clear criminal record check; must include vulnerable sector check (More than one criminal record check may be necessary during the length of your program, in accordance with practicum requirements.) *
*Note: Internet (online) criminal record checks are not accepted by the College. Please contact your local law enforcement agency directly to obtain an official criminal record check. The existence of a criminal record may prevent clinical placement, program completion, and professional licensure and may therefore affect employment prospects. Prospective learners who have a criminal record should discuss the matter with the Program Chair prior to applying for admission.
A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 is required to be considered in good academic standing and to graduate with a diploma in Practical Nursing. To qualify for graduation, learners must pass all courses.
After successfully completing this program, graduates will be awarded a NorQuest Practical Nurse diploma.
• Overall grade point average (GPA) is greater than or equal to 3.7.
See www.NorQuest.ca for further information.
SIIT is not currently accepting applications for this program. Please refer to the homepage to see the programs currently accepting applications (www.siit.ca, Apply Here).
For more information on this program please email our Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org